4BC breakfast show producer Jamie McDonald is also a talented chef and shares his tips for no fuss cooking at classes at the Full Moon Hotel at Sandgate on Bramble Bay. Here’s one of his favourite mussels dishes…
- 2kg black mussels
- 1 tblspn olive oil
- 1 tblspn garlic, minced
- 2 white onions, diced
- 1 tblspn arrowroot
- ½ bottle white wine
- 2 cubes chicken stock
- ½ litre milk
- 100ml double cream
- Chopped parsley
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Sauté onions and garlic in oil until onions are transparent. Add small amount of arrowroot. Add the wine, reduce, then add chicken stock, then milk, and seasoning. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Add cream and some parsley to finish.
Cover and steam mussels in a small amount of water over high heat until open (5 to 8 minutes). Pour sauce over mussels, scatter chopped parsley to garnish.
- Use black mussels which are the best value for money, they also taste better!
- Make sure the mussels are closed when you buy them.
- If the mussels are already open - it means they’ve died which is not optimal for cooking.
- You can store the mussels in water for up to a day - make sure they are in a bucket of salted water.
- Always steam the mussels in a separate pan from the sauce and discard the water (some mussels spit out dirt during steaming).