A “unique” dark chocolate gelato has whipped the field and been crowned Australia’s best at the Royal Queensland Food and Wine Show.
Milani House of Gelato, from Hamilton, beat out 145 ice cream, gelato and sorbet entries from around the nation to win the coveted Grand Champion Ice Cream, Gelato or Sorbet of Show award.
Not only did they win the grand prize, but Milani House of Gelato virtually scooped the pool, winning five of the six gongs on offer for ice creams, gelatos and sorbets.
Royal Queensland Food and Wine Show (RQFWS) judge and renowned ice cream expert Garry Baker said Milani House of Gelato’s dark chocolate gelato excelled in the two major attributes a Grand Champion needs — flavour and texture.
“It’s really true to its flavour and has exceptional creaminess,” he said.
“It’s very rare to get a dark chocolate gelato that doesn’t leave a dry or powdery sensation at the end.
“The gelato is smooth, creamy and luscious and the flavour is particularly satisfying.”
Milani House of Gelato owner Yue Lin told us there are a number of reasons his gelato stands out from the crowd.
“All natural ingredients, nothing artificial, fresh milk, fresh fruit and made fresh daily,” said the proud winner.
Mr Lin has been in the hospitality industry for two decades, with a particular interest in coffee and gelato. Five years ago, he travelled to Italy to learn how to make gelato directly from the masters of the craft.
He bought the Hamilton gelateria two years ago. So while we’ve been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Gelato Messina in Brisbane, it turns out Australia’s best gelato has actually been here the whole time!
The Ice Cream, Gelato and Sorbet awards were given out alongside the Cheese and Dairy Produce awards, which date back to the first Royal Queensland Show (Ekka) in 1876.
Berrys Creek Gourmet Cheese from Victoria, which took the top gong in 2015, once again won Grand Champion Dairy Product of Show with their Riverine blue, made from buffalo milk.
RQFWS chief judge Russell Smith said blue cheese just doesn’t get any better than the Victorian offering.
“It has a beautiful creamy texture and there is a great distribution of blue throughout the cheese — a wonderful balance of savoury, spicy blue flavours and aromas,” he said.
“This product really highlights the skill of the cheesemaker in dealing with a unique milk style.”
The Ice Cream, Gelato and Sorbet Competition and The Cheese and Dairy Produce Show are the first two of seven RQFWS competitions to be held this year.
All the award-winning products will be featured at this year’s Ekka, running from 5-14 August.
But you don’t need to wait until August to try Australia’s best gelato — Milani House of Gelato is located at 53 Racecourse Road, Hamilton.
The gelataria is open from 3pm to 10:30pm Tuesday to Friday, midday to 10:30pm Saturday to Sunday, and closed on Mondays.
Australia’s best ice cream, gelato and sorbet
- Champion Ice Cream, Gelato or Sorbet of Show — Dark Chocolate Gelato produced by Milani House of Gelato, Brisbane QLD
- Champion Queensland Ice Cream, Gelato or Sorbet of Show — Dark Chocolate Gelato produced by Milani House of Gelato, Brisbane QLD
- Champion Sorbet of Show — Sorbetto Cioccolato produced by Gelateria Gondola, Sydney NSW
- Champion Ice Cream or Gelato of Show — Dark Chocolate Gelato produced by Milani House of Gelato, Brisbane QLD
- Champion Flavoured Ice Cream or Gelato of Show — Strawberry Gelato produced by Milani House of Gelato, Brisbane QLD
- Champion Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream or Gelato of Show — Dark Chocolate Gelato produced by Milani House of Gelato, Brisbane QLD
Australia’s best cheese and dairy
- Grand Champion Dairy Product of Show — Riverine Blue produced by Berrys Creek Gourmet Cheese, Fish Creek VIC
- Champion Queensland Cheese or Dairy Product of Show — Fetta produced by Emmos Fine Foods, Thornton QLD
- Champion Buffalo, Goat or Sheep Milk Product — Riverine Blue produced by Berrys Creek Gourmet Cheese, Fish Creek VIC
- Champion Butter, Milk or Cream of Show — Bega Butter by Bega Cheese Limited, Bega NSW
- Champion Dairy Dessert or Yoghurt of Show — Belgian Chocolate Mousse Swiss Dark produced by Nicholson Fine Foods, Yamba NSW
- Champion Cheese of Show — Tarwin Blue produced by Berrys Creek Gourmet Cheese, Fish Creek VIC
Have you tried Milani House of Gelato’s dark chocolate gelato? Do you think it’s Australia’s best? Have your say in the comments below!