Heard about the juice and smoothie craze but not sure where to start? We’ve got the rundown and a few recipes to try.
We all know vegetables are packed full of antioxidants and vitamins, but sometimes a plateful of salad can be far from appetising.
It’s easier than ever to get your fix by hiding veggies in a tasty green smoothie. Balanced with the sweetness of fruit, smoothies and juices are a quick and easy way of upping nutrient intake without much trouble.
Juice v smoothie
While both juices and smoothies provide minerals and vitamins, smoothies (using a blender) maintain the fibre from the pulp of fruit and vegetables which is great for your digestive tract. The nutrients will be absorbed faster in juices however, and this can be a good way to give your systems a break from constant digestion.
For a health boost, add…
- Ginger – helps the absorption of nutrients, quells nausea and is anti-inflammatory.
- Kale – low calorie but high in fibre, kale is packed with iron, Vitamins K, A and C, and is filled with antioxidants.
- Tumeric – a great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, turmeric contains curcumin which helps with brain and heart health.
- If the taste isn’t palatable add more fruit or Greek yoghurt to help mask the taste of vegetables.
- Use water or almond milk to thin out a smoothie.
- Freeze fruit and vegetables to be used in blending – they’ll last longer and help chill your smoothie.
- Add protein powder to balance blood sugar levels and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- Incorporate coconut oil to boost metabolism and reduce sugar cravings.
“Summer Fresh” juice recipe
2 sprigs of basil
2 sprigs of mint
2 handfuls of English spinach
A thumb of ginger
Juice all ingredients. Add a red apple if too sour.
This is an extract from Green Smoothies by Fern Green, published by Hachette Australia, RRP $14.99.
Banaban “Sweet Fruit Smoothie” recipe
1 cup spinach
1 cup fresh coconut water
1 cup rockmelon
3 large strawberries (frozen)
¼ cup blueberries (frozen)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
Toss all ingredients into a blender and combine until smooth.