Head to South Bank and Regional Flavours for a feast of local produce, food, wine, beer and fun times.
Brisbane’s biggest food weekend is heading your way with South Bank filled with free Regional Flavours fun on July 19 and 20.
My best tip is to go early to beat the crowds and remember to take plenty of people to carry your full shopping bags. With more than 100 of Queensland’s best providores from eight regions showing their wares you will be sorely tempted. This is a great chance to meet the people who grow your favourite organic vegetables, bake the cakes, stir the jams and grow the grapes that become your favourite wines.
Here’s how to plan your Regional Flavours day
- Start by scanning the Eat-Show-Tell program on the Regional Flavours Main Stage at the Piazza and see which of the cooking demonstrations from celebrity chefs appeal. The lovely Annabel Langbein, The Free Range Cook and Paul West from River Cottage Australia are on my list. Paul is an urban forager of locally-produced foods while Annabel is an organic cook and food writer.
- Arrive early and do the rounds of the providore stalls. Don’t stint – you won’t find this array of local products anywhere else without a great deal of leg work. Take the time to ask questions if the stall holders are not too busy.
- Check out the Eat Fleet Food Trucks which are pop-up food stands from many of the River Quay restaurants and snack your way through the day.
- Did you miss breakfast? Don’t worry, you can have breakfast all day on the Little Stanley Street lawns while watching the baristas work their coffee magic. River Quay will be another popular place to eat with live music and gourmet street food.
- Relax with a drink at The Hunting Club where beer guru Matt Kirkegaard will be ruling the roost.
- Take your children to the South Bank Kids Club – a free program for children aged five and older.
It’s on from 10am to 5pm. Visit Regional Flavours for the complete event program.
While you are in the area, pop into the Night Noodle Markets which are also on at South Bank from July 1 to 24.