It’s true what they say — not all Chinese food is created equal.
Nothing against my local Chinese take-away joint, but it’s safe to say that Zen — at Jupiters Hotel & Casino — is on a whole other level.
This month, the restaurant is celebrating 20 years of serving authentic Chinese cuisine (using Cantonese, Szechuan and Peking flavours) to locals and casino patrons from around the world. What’s particularly incredible about that milestone is that eight team members who are currently working at Zen have been there since the very beginning.
(Larry, Zen’s engaging maître d’, is a little bit of a slacker by comparison — he’s only been there 19 and a half years.)
To celebrate, the venue is featuring a special set menu banquet throughout the entire month of July. I had a chance to dig into it last week, and I came away extremely satisfied — and a little sad that I don’t live closer to Jupiters.
The set menu, which costs $45 per person based on a minimum of four guests, includes:
- Barbecued pork and duck combination with ginger
- Mixed seafood soup with spinach
- Sauteed scallops and prawns with xo sauce and broccoli
- Fillet of chicken in orange sauce
- Fried fish fillet with pickle and pine nut sauce
- Chef Ten Yi Chang’s personal favourite — the eye fillet of beef with black bean pepper and honey
- Special fried rice
- Glass of Morgan Bay Sparkling
Zen is open for lunch Tuesday to Sunday from midday to 2pm and dinner seven nights a week. It can get pretty crowded, so bookings are recommended — call (07) 5592 8181.